Friday 14 October 2011

Fox Holed

Liam Fox has resigned from his post as defence secretary.

Here, in full, is his resignation letter to Prime Minister David Cameron, and Mr Cameron's response.

Dear David,

As you know, I have always placed a great deal of importance on accountability and responsibility in others. As I said in the House of Commons on Monday, I mistakenly abandoned any notion of a distinction between my personal interest and my government activities. The consequences of this have become clearer in recent days thanks to the weasels of the Guardian gutter press. I am very sorry they found out.

I have also repeatedly said that the national interest must always appear to come before personal interest. I am now hoist on my own petard. I have therefore decided, with great sadness, to resign from my post as secretary of state for defence - a position which I have been immensely proud and honoured to have held and from which I expect a few nice directorships to come. Soon.

I am particularly proud to have overseen the long overdue reforms to the Ministry of Defence and to our armed forces, which will shape them to meet the challenges of the future and keep this country safe as long as such challenges come from the Isle Of Man.

I am proud also to have played a part in helping to liberate the people of Libya through my relationships with the elite there, though their goose is cooked now, and I regret that I will not see through to its conclusion Britain's role in Afghanistan, where so much progress has been made, some of it by the British forces I am making redundant.

Above all, I am honoured and humbled to have worked with the superb men and women in our armed forces. Their bravery, dedication and professionalism are second to none. Except mine.

I appreciate all the support you have given me until you got fed up of the headlines - and will continue to support the vital work of this government, above all in using the enormous budget deficit we inherited as an excuse for just about anything.

I look forward to continuing to represent my constituents in North Somerset; they're all so right wing they'd vote for a leprous badger if it wore a blue rosette so no worries there.

Yours ever,

Liam

ps Adam says "Hi."



Dear Liam,

Thank you for your letter.

I understand your reasons for deciding to resign as defence secretary, seeing as they've been Guardian headlines for a week, although I am very sorry you were found out.

We have worked closely for these last six years and you have been a key member of my team throughout that time, though of course I knew absolutely nothing about any of the things you've allegedly been up to.

You have done a superb job in the 17 months since the election, and as shadow defence secretary before that. I'm not sure of the details but I bet it was jolly good anyway.

You have, between your many overseas trips, overseen fundamental changes in the Ministry of Defence and in our armed forces, which will ensure that they are fully equipped to meet the challenges of the Isle Of Man.

On Libya, you played a key role in the campaign to stop people being massacred by the Gaddafi regime and instead win their freedom. [Check this bit please, Secretary. DC]

You can be proud of the difference you have made in your time in office, and in helping our party to return to government. Your ability to attract money from US neocons has been most useful.

I appreciate your commitment to the work of this government, particularly highlighting our line on tackling the deficit, and the relationship between Britain's economic strength and our national security according to the Daily Mail.

You and Jesme [Check name please, Secretary. DC] have always been good friends, and I have truly valued your support over the years. I will continue to do so in the future.

Yours ever,

David

ps will it be two or three of you for Boxing Day lunch?

pps Amanda says hello



And a section from the Guardian describing how one venture capitalist gave money, purely altruistically, to one of Adam Werrity's transport funds:

'Jon Moulton, a venture capitalist who has been listed as making several donations to Pargav, issued a statement following Fox's resignation claiming that Fox had lobbied him for money on Pargav's behalf.

"Before the last election, I had made several on-the-record donations to support Dr Fox following a request to do so from a Conservative party fundraiser.

"After the election, I was asked by Dr Fox to provide funds to a non-profit group called Pargav involved in security policy analysis and research and, after obtaining written assurances as to its activities, I provided personal funding to Pargav.

"Neither I, nor any of my associates, have sought or received a benefit of any form from Pargav. I have not received an account of Pargav's activities, nor have I been involved at all with Pargav, since funding. I will not be doing this again," he said.
'

Erm, so why did you give the money? Who else do you give money to, without seeking or receiving benefit of any kind? Are all venture capitalists so generous?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?